20080929

Acoustic Neuroma

The term "acoustic neuroma" is actually a misnomer since the tumor never arises from the acoustic division of the vestibulocochlear nerve (cranial nerve VIII) and the tumor is not a neuroma but a schwannoma.

Acoustic neuroma (or Vestibular Schwannoma) is a benign primary intracranial tumor, or brain tumor, of the myelin forming cells called "Schwann cells" (Schwannoma) of the 8th cranial nerve -also known as the acoustic nerve, (or more properly the vestibulocochlear nerve).

The vast majority (95%) of these tumors are sporadic, meaning they are not passed on through genes. Sporatic tumors occur in only one ear, and there are no known risk factors. Rarely these tumors are associated with a genetic disease called Neurofibromatosis Type II. Patients with Neurofibromatosis develop tumors at a younger age, usually have tumors on both sides and also have other manifestations, including benign tumors of the brain and dura (the covering of the brain).

Vestibular Schwannomas are generally slow growing (less than 3 millimeters per year) and may not grow at all if followed over time. However, tumor growth is not predictable, and some tumors grow more rapidly. When tumors are small they may give no symptoms or very subtle symptoms, such as a slight hearing loss or a noise in the ear (tinnitus). When tumors grow, they begin to cause injury to the hearing nerve and balance nerve, by compressing them. Patients may experience severe hearing loss (either suddenly or progressively over a period of years) or balance problems. Large tumors may compress the brainstem and result in headaches and other symptoms of increased intracranial pressure. Symptoms don't correlate well with size. Some patients with very small tumors may have obvious symptoms and likewise, some patients with large tumors may have no symptoms at all.

The diagnosis of Vestibular Schwannoma is made by history, hearing tests, and MRI scan. Gadolinium is a special contrast agent used during the MRI to allow visualization of the tumors. With good technique, MRI will show tumors as small as 2-4 millimeters.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. You have done very well with your blog. It looks as though you really care for it. The information presented is excellent. Please stop by and visit my health blog at http://healthy-nutrition-facts.blogspot.com I would really appreciate it. Keep up the great work here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will politicians be realistic in planning for the long-term stability of universal health and social care for an aging population that is incurring increased comorbidities that require social care just as much as healthcare? Indeed, Apotheke

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness I am giving out my testimony to all viewers on line, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB and HIV has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967,  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He sent me his herbal medicines through Courier service and i was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instruction given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kind of diseases like,Brain cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Ovarian cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Herpes,,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis,Intestinal cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia.

    ReplyDelete